Flood Awareness and Preparation
January 4, 2024
This week has seen a number of flood alerts and flood warnings following Storm Henk and the strong winds. Whilst much of the advice in circulation is targeted towards residential property, we noticed that many of the tips can also be effectively applied to business situations and premises. So we thought the following nuggets of information may be useful as food for thought to help you prepare for the worst.
Check your flood risk
You can use the GOV website to check current flood warnings or alerts in your local area, river, sea, groundwater and rainfall levels and flood risk.
Tips for improving your flood resilience:
- Have a bag ready with vital items like insurance documents and medications in case you need to leave your home
- Check you know how to turn off your gas, electricity and water mains supplies
- Plan how you'll move family and pets to safety
- Consider property protection products such as flood barriers or air brick covers. Check online if you are eligible for a grant to help protect your property
- Make sure you have a list of useful contact numbers
- Make yourself an action plan to use in the event of a flood.
The National Flood Forum also provides useful information on preparing for a flood, protecting and recovering your home and reducing risk.