How Are You Joining In With Plastic Free July?
July 3, 2023
This July, Braintree District Council are sharing the Plastic Free July® message. It’s a global movement that helps people be part of the solution to plastic pollution.
Millions of people around the world are taking their own steps by choosing to refuse single-use plastic. Last year, participants avoided 2.6 million tonnes of waste!
Share what you are doing for Plastic Free July online using #SmallStepsBigDifference.
There are lots of things you can do to avoid single use plastics including:
- If you love coffee then consider buying your own reusable cup. Some cafes offer a small discount for those who bring their own cup. TOAST, for example, which has shops in Braintree and Witham, offer 20p off any drink if a customer brings a reusable cup, or 50p off their drink if the cup is TOAST branded (pictured below).
- Invest in a reusable travel bottle. It will save you money when you are out and about as you won't need to buy a bottle of water/drink.
- Put your reusable shopping bags where you will remember them... keep one in your car and one in your bag so you always have it ready. It will save you having to buy another one.
- Avoid buying food and cleaning products packaged in single-use plastic. Consider using a refill store. We have some great stores in the district including Naturally Unwrapped in Blake End, Ecolnes Refillery Store in Earls Colne and The Natural Way in Braintree.
- Swap it – consider using bar soap and shampoo and conditioner bars. These don’t use plastic packaging and many use ingredients that are much better for your skin and hair. You could also try reusable beeswax wraps so you can avoid plastic food bags and clingfilm.
Find out more about Plastic Free July® and see what you can do to be part of the solution.