The Mayor’s Civic Awards - Our Congratulations
March 10, 2023
It's so important to offer gratitude for those who have gone far and beyond expectation, but it's also vital that the people of Witham are all aware of these local super heroes!
Our congratulations to everyone who received deserved recognition at this year's Witham Town Mayor's Civic Service which included the Witham Community Awards for the first time.
The awards were as follows:
- Winner of the Community Award- Witham Boys Brigade and Girls Association
- Winner of the Environment Award- Witham Tree Group
- Winner of the Youth Award- Witham 295 Squadron
- Winner of the Art and Culture Award- Witham Amateur Operatic Society
- Winner of the Lifetime Achievement Award- June Richardson, Founding member of the Templars Community Association
- Winner of the Mayor’s Award- Paula Franklin for her work with St John Ambulance and Mid Essex News Tapes for the Blind
- Special Nominations - Witham CSC Constables:
- Acting Special Chief Inspector Campbell
- Special Sergeant Simon Jesse
- Special Constable Claire Eaketts
- Special Constable Peter Symonds
- Long Service Awards- Michael Lager and John Goodman for their many years of service to the Town Council
- Freedom of the Town- John Palombi
Freedom of the town is an honour given by a local council in recognition of their exceptional service to the town. There is a protocol on conferring Freedom of the Town, to be given Freedom of the Town there needs to be a special meeting of the council. At the meeting, at least two-thirds of councillors must agree to give the honour.
There are currently two people who have been awarded this honour and John Palombi becomes the latest Honorary Freeman. John Palombi regularly attends Town Council meetings providing valuable contributions, is co-opted onto Advisory Groups and as the Chair of the Witham & Countryside Society, has produced publications on Witham.